Wednesday, October 19, 2011

To Brie, or Not to Brie



Today, I ate Brie,

A big, honkin’ chunk of it {on crackers}.

And guess what, I ate cold cuts too.

And a few days ago, I ate salami.

And, although I haven’t yet had a glass of wine, if one was offered to me, I would surely take it.

The list of can’t haves during pregnancy is constantly evolving…mostly growing larger.  I mean, really??

Last time, I was able to resist the temptation of most of these taboo foods, except feta, blue cheese, salami, and a glass of wine here and there.  I believe I also had to eat a few bites of my dad’s smoked salmon, in order not to offend him.  I’m pretty sure my parents think “the list” is ridiculous.  What parent of the 80’s didn’t eat cold cuts? I was, however, able to forego the raw milk offered at the Campbell Farmer’s Market, which I sooooo longed to try!

Funny though, once Rowan was born, I raced over to the raw milk station for a taste and told them how I had been waiting so long to try their milk because I was pregnant. They looked at me as if I was crazy.  Then they began to explain to me that, yes, there is potential risk, as with many {almost any} foods, however the risks are not as high as most people are led to believe and there are many benefits to raw milk consumption as well, and as the woman put it, especially for pregnant women.  

By the way, it was delicious!

This time around, I don’t seem to have as much restraint.  I don’t know that I ever really bought into these food No-No’s anyway.  I feel like, sure, there’s a possibility that some bad bacteria could be hanging out in there and result in the unthinkable.  But I think my chances of severe belly trauma, or death, in a car accident are probably higher.  

And what about E. coli in spinach, or listeria in cantaloupe?  How shall I avoid ALL the bugs that could harm me or our little bean sprout?

To me, and this is solely my opinion, based on things I’ve heard, not reputable articles {can you even find a “reputable” source these days?}, the list of foods to avoid seems like a load of crap.  

Just sayin’


image source: realfoodblog.com

3 comments:

  1. I too could not give up blue cheese, I love it way too much! I also ate homemade mayo (raw eggs). And deli meat but we do choose no added nitrates, at least I think the nitrates added are food based. Oh and I had wine and coffee. Oh man Mackenzie is in trouble! I think raw milk is probably just fine too, I think a healthy low stress mama is most important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was shocked when I read on one list that you weren't allowed to have fro-yo when pregnant. That seems ludicrous!

    I tell my mom about this list of foods you can't eat and she just rolls her eyes at me saying we worry too much about every little thing nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Teresa! Another blue cheese lover! I totally agree with being stress free. Jen, no fro-yo sounds absurd! I ate some for sure last time. Is it not pasteurized?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...