Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Breastfeeding Blues

We're three weeks into this parenting deal, and I'm really feeling like a slave to my baby's need for food.  Feedings can take up to an hour, with all the burping and diaper explosion changes included, and he has to eat every one to three hours!  Typically, it's around the three hour mark, Thank GOD! Sometimes I even catch a break and he waits a little longer.  But still, that leaves two hours in between to carry on with normal life....uh, well, normal except for everything has to be done with one arm because the other is occupied.  And, there are diaper changes and coddling to be done during these two hours of "freedom" as well. 

I thought the delivery was going to be the worst part.  Good Lord, I had no idea what I was in for! 

Unlike some, I haven't found breastfeeding to be super rewarding child-parent bonding time either.  Maybe that comes later?  And it IS painful.  That part's getting better though.  The pain really isn't that big of a deal to me.  But I do find feeding to be incredibly tedious and it gets in the way of other things I want to be doing.  I know that's disgustingly selfish.  I'm just saying it like it is...for me.

Pre-Baby, I admittedly could not understand why moms would choose (and I do mean those who have a choice) to feed with formula over providing their little ones with the health benefits of breastmilk, plus, burning an extra 500 calories a day.  Now, I TOTALLY GET IT.  Let's face it, you could burn those 500 calories easy in the amount of time it takes to breastfeed your baby.

How much easier would life be right now if I could just grab the bottle of formula over fighting Rowan for the "latch" at 3am?  I try not to think about it too much because I still want to stick it out as long as I can.  I do think it's best for my baby.  It's definitely trying my patience (Me? Patience? Those words don't mix).  Luckily my stubborness might counter the lack of patience.  At least it could buy us some time.

Man, I can't wait 'til he eats solids! 


-Sarah

2 comments:

  1. You're not going to be wishing for solid foods when you see what's in his diaper. I hear its HORRIBLE!

    Thanks for posting things like this. It will be good reference when my time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does get better....as with all of parenting, things move on to different phases, there are changes you will be grateful for and others that you will miss. For now, my best unasked-for Grandma advice is to focus on the things you love about tiny Rowan, for he won't stay tiny long. I'm glad you are stubborn enough to be able to do the best thing for him right now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...