Thursday, January 20, 2011

Eff You, Blue Paint!

OH, I am SOOOO frustrated with the paint we are picking for our kitchen/dining areas.

First of all, it took me a long time to decide what colors I liked on the swatch.  Then, it took me a long time to get some real samples to try out. Then, it took me a long time to acutally take the plunge with the real deal.

I chose a dark grey/blue color for the kitchen, behind the oven and fridge.  I started painting away, and fell in LOVE with the color!  Wow.  I was so proud of myself for taking a chance and getting it right!

I did three coats on the whole area and it looked fantastic.  A few hours later, I went to go do some touch-ups.  To my shock and horror, the touch-ups turned out a totally lighter color! WTF!! I must not have mixed the dang paint well enough.  Okay, this might seem like an easy fix, just go get a new can of paint and mix it well, right? WRONG! Because I like the DARK color!  I don't like the color as much if it's all the way mixed.

 Crap. 

Trying to match a mystery wall color doesn't work very well.  We bought a butt-load of new "add a touch of this" samples but none of them are right. 

Today, RogĂ©r mixed two of the sample colors together, and it's surprisingly close.  I think we're going to have to live with it.

Moral of the story:  Mix your paint THOROUGHLY!  Even if you hate the fully mixed color, at least you don't fall in love with a color you can't match.

-Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so much for saving time and money by buying samples first. Sorry it was such a fiasco....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...